Red hot Hwange burns Chapungu

A red hot Hwange produced a blistering performance to bring high flying Chapungu crashing down to mother earth with a thud after an evenly contested Castle Lager Premier league match played at the Colliery Stadium yesterday afternoon.

At the end of the afternoon, a well taken header by anchor-man Collen Muleya on the stroke of halftime and another one by substitute and new boy Delic Murimba nine minutes from full time after donning a Hwange shirt for only three minutes meant new coach Bigboy Mawiwi maintained his perfect home record in his tenure at the helm of Chipangano technical bench.

Mawiwi presided over a 4-0 clobbering of Tsholotsho in his first game.

Hwange started off at a cracking pace and pinned the airmen in their own half with their first realistic chance coming on the quarter hour mark after enterprising right back Crispen Dicksen’s teasing cross was flicked on the path of a well-positioned Muleya by Crybert Muvuti only for the lanky Muleya to sky his effort from a few metres out.

The threat by the hosts temporarily jolted Chapungu into some life as they launched the first raid of their own in the 26th minute through winger Tinei Chitora who unleashed a screamer at the edge of the box after a swift counter attack but Hwange goalkeeper Taimon Mvula was up to the task as he fisted the effort back into play before an alert Gerald Ndllovu hooked the ball to safety.

Two minutes later striker Patrick Khumbula was allowed a free header but his effort sailed inches over the bar.

Hwange then regained the momentum and started accosting the Chapungu goal for breakthrough which came seconds before half time after overlapping Dicksen sent in a delicate cross which was met with a glancing Muleya header which sailed into the far post to stun the visitors.

It was only Muleya’s second goal for Hwange having last scored in August 2015 in a 1-0 win over Chicken Inn at Luveve stadium.

Chapungu were not given a chance to regroup as Chipangano started the last half in the same menacing manner and could added another one three minutes after the restart only for big goalkeeper Talbert Shumba to produce the save of the afternoon by denying Justine Kaunda from a one on one situation with a fingertip save.

All hopes for Chapungu to salvage anything out of the game wilted into the simmering Hwange heat as nine minutes from time as substitute Murimba grabbed the much needed cushion goal barely three minutes after he had come in for Kaunda in the 78th minute.

The stylish and young former ZPC Hwange striker ghosted in from the blind side to flick a clever Muvuti cross past a bemused Shumba to seal Chapungu’s fate.

Mawiwi was a happy man at the end of the game.

“I am happy because we deserved the win. The loss to Ngezi had some few positive notes in it and we came with a game plan which worked today. I came knowing the big task at hand and we will take each game as it comes.” he said.


TEAMS: HWANGE: T Mvula; D Crispen; O Moyo; G Ndlovu; A Tshuma; M Mekiwa( N Chinyerere 86th min); S Gadzikwa; C Muleya ( E Meleka 90th min); N Ziwini; C Muvuti; J Kaunda( D Murimba 78th min)


Recommended Posts